Monday, April 29, 2013

Censors**p

A couple of weeks ago I was watching "Pulp Fiction" on cable. My first viewing of this movie was on cable. The last few times that "I've watched it have been on DVD, but I didn't think much of it.That is until one of the characters started cursing. it trough me off when I hear silence instead of the curse word I had heard when I would watch the DVD version. It's almost like I had forgotten the censorship of words on television. This made me give some thought about it. 

I honestly don't understand the reason behind censoring certain words on television in this day and age. I can wrap my head around the reason why people began to do this. When television was invented people were more strict when it came to the media. Parents were upset at the fact that women in comic books were drawn with curves. This was surely a different time. There was no rating system for any content at that time. There was no way for inappropriate content to be shown to only certain age groups. It was just shuned away instead. 

We live in a very different time now. I don't understand who we're keeping these things away from anymore. Who is going to be offended by the foul language of "Pulp Fiction"? Children? If so, then why would you be showing them such a violent film in the first place. Some adults find using these words to be offensive, but there is no reason they would be watching this either. I can't think of a single person that would gasp at the sound of "Samuel L Jackson" dropping an "F Bomb", yet at the same time be alright with watching a man's head explode. 

There are certain channels that do let it all out. "HBO", "Starz", and "Showtime" can show whatever they want without any censors touching there content. Is this because these are extra channels? Channels that not everyone needs, but can be bought for an extra price. But can't you say the same about thing about most cable channels? Yet they do not have the privileges that the movies channels do. 

I simply want to know who we're protecting when we censor curse words. I feel that their aren't many people to protect anymore. Maybe I'm wrong and there are people out there who prefer their content censored for them. For now I'll just enjoy the content that television has provided me. Censored or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment