Monday, May 6, 2013

Death Of The American Sitcom

I grew up watching "Nick At Nite" before going to bed. This may seem like a simple thing, maybe even uneventful. But those are some memories that I still Cherish to this day. I would enjoy a block of classic sitcoms that included: "Happy Days", "I Love Lucy", and "Laverne and Shirley". That time has now passed. The network does not show these sitcoms anymore. They have update to more recent shows, such as: "Friends" and "That 70's show". There hasn't been a sitcom, like the classic ones I've listed above, in sometime. I feel that there never will be again. 

The era of the classic sitcom is gone and it does not seem to be coming back anytime soon. There are still funny sitcoms and ones that are trying to do things in a new way, but they are not the same as the ones I grew up watching. There is no way to capture that magic again or to make a sitcom as memorable as the classic ones are. The world is constantly moving forward and there is no way to move backwards. Any attempts just look foolish. 

Sitcoms seem to be moving in two different directions at the moment. The first way is moving forward with single camera comedies. These are shows that do not involve a studio audience and are filmed with only the use of a single camera. They are also use sets that look more realistic than the classic sitcoms used. The second way is the moving back with the three camera comedy. These are shows that use a three camera system, film in front of live audience, (Or rather a laugh track), and use sets that don't look anymore than just a studio set. 

In my opinion, the first method seems to be the only logical one to use nowadays. Laugh tracks feels patronizing in this day and age. By going with the old methods of constructing a sitcom, you are just trying to recapture the old days. The golden age of television, if you will. This doesn't make any sense to me. These shows may not even gain popularity and if they do, then they won't be memorable years from now. Do you honestly think that audiences will look back at "The Big Bang Theory" with fondness in sixty years, like they do with "I Love Lucy"?

I still enjoy watching the classics to this day, but I don't think they can be made today. For all I know I could be wrong. A funny, imaginative, and heartwarming show could pop up out of no where tomorrow. At this point and time the classic American sitcom is gone from the air waves, but not forgotten.  

      

No comments:

Post a Comment